< back to page list
Middle School Grade 8 Courses
- Theme: Knowing One’s Community
- Students study the foundation of our American democracy and the concept of the American dream
- Explores expressions and equations
- Introduces linear and quadratic functions
- Prepares students for entry into upper school at Algebra 1
- Uses Prentice Hall Prealgebra text
- Develops a facility for the use of variables in equations
- Explores graphing linear equations and inequalities
- Investigates factoring, absolute value expressions, and functions
- Prepares students for entry into upper school at Geometry
- Uses Prentice-Hall Algebra 1 text
- Connects to Grade 8 Humanities theme by investigating how science impacts a community
- Uses SEPUP text, Issues, Evidence, & You
- Students continue with French or Spanish as their primary language of study, working to complete the equivalent of a second year in an upper school language course.
- Looks at the many functions of art and the artist from the historical periods studied in Grade 8 humanities class
- Students continue to focus on the social/emotional aspects of being healthy and maintaining one's health, continuing to work with the Mindset curriculum heading to Grade 9 where it will be a focal point of the upper school's Freshmen Foundations course.
- Classes meet twice each week for the entire school year, with the goal of involving students in regular physical activity including a variety of lifelong sports.