Wilbraham and Monson Academy The Global School
Home >
WM A to Z > History of the Academy
Tools :
email page print page small type large type

 

 

 

 

 

 


History of the Academy

Wilbraham & Monson Academy was established by the merger of two early nineteenth-century academies: Monson Academy, founded in 1804, in Monson, Massachusetts, and Wesleyan Academy, founded in 1817 in New Market, New Hampshire. Wesleyan Academy moved to Wilbraham in 1825, and became Wilbraham Academy in 1912. Wilbraham Academy and Monson Academy merged in 1971. A tradition of acceptance and diversity dates back to the founding of the two academies. Wesleyan Academy was the first coeducational boarding school in the country, and in 1847 Monson Academy became the first American school to enroll Chinese students. Soon afterward, students from Thailand began to attend Wilbraham Academy. Alumni Memorial Chapel was part of the Underground Railroad and the Academy has enrolled students of color since before the Civil War.

 Historical Timeline - coming soon

News

A Tinkering Place is a new on-campus weekend activity created by Dr. Gorski and her team where students can experiment with 3-D printing, engineering and robotics.
Emily played "Christmas Time is Here" on the piano.
Andrew received the 2014 Coaches Award for XC.
Evan helped the team go on a late run to qualify for the New England Class B tournament.
The seniors helped the Titans to the New England Class B final.

All materials, images, and text on the domain of WMA.us are ©2014 Willbraham & Monson Academy 
423 Main Street, Wilbraham, MA 01095   •   Ph 413.596.6811   •   Toll Free 800.616.3659   •   Fax  413.599.1749

Mission  •  Directions  •  Contact Us  •  Head of School  •  Media Relations  •  Employment  •  Employee Portal

The mission of Wilbraham & Monson Academy is to develop global citizens and leaders.

Facebook    Twitter    Linked In    Youtube
powered by finalsite