Wilbraham & Monson Academy has a rich tradition of enrolling and supporting international students. In 1847, Monson Academy was the first school in the United States to enroll Chinese students. Thai and Japanese students followed soon after. Since that time, the international student body has remained a foundation of the school for over 150 years and continues to this day with students from over 22 countries.
Elements of The International Student Program Include:
- New International Student Orientation schedule
- Various themed meals
- Airport, bus, and train pick up and drop offs at all major breaks (Travel arrangements: An updated list of travel dates for your convenience)
- Field trips to various locales to experience American history and culture
- An annual trip for our American students to one of the countries most strongly represented at the Academy
- Notable alumni
- Special receptions for international students and their guests throughout the year
- The opportunity to see more of the United States through our travel/study programs during long weekends
- English as a Second Language classes
- English Tutorial classes for students entering their first year of traditional English classes
- Visits and lectures from distinguished academics and professionals regarding the countries our students come from
- Student tutors who can assist in their native language
Being a HOMESTAY Host
A HOMESTAY is an opportunity to live in an American home with a host family. Although the student pays a small fee to the family to participate, the experience is one of building a relationship, not just renting a room. HOMESTAY host families are carefully selected for their kind and caring personalities and their desire and willingness to open their homes and share their family lives and customs with the students.
Students who live in a HOMESTAY discover that their English improves through conversation and daily interaction with their families. They are exposed to a variety of cultural learning activities like family activities, holiday celebrations, religious practices, and sporting events, among other things. The greatest reward for the students and the families both might be the deep, lasting friendship between them.
The HOMESTAY host family will provide:
- A safe, clean, and comfortable home
- A kind, caring family
- An English-speaking environment
- A private furnished bedroom with study area
- Healthy meals
- Access to laundry facilities, including detergent
- Television and Internet access
Please contact International Student Program Director Gayle Hsiao if you would like to consider this program.