The program is designed to help freshmen understand themselves as individuals, to understand their role in the global community, and to make informed choices relating to their health, their interaction with others, and their daily responsibilities.
Students meet four times over the course of the fall trimester with Dean of Studies Erik Kindblom. These meetings are scheduled during their regular English 9 or Global Studies 1 classes. Then, depending on their schedules, they take a class that is instructed by Mr. Vartebedian and Ms. Norman in either the winter or spring trimester. In addition, there is one freshman class field trip.
Understanding you ~ Mr. Kindblom
1) What Kind of Student Are You?—Getting Good Grades
2) Brain Rules for “surviving and thriving at school”
3) Understanding your personality and others—Keirsey
Understanding choices you make ~ Mr. Vartebedian
4) Stress—what affects stress—managing stress
6) Substance Abuse
7) Relationships and Sexuality
Understanding your global community ~ Ms. Norman
8) How you influence your community
9) Global cultures and your community
10) Leadership and your community
11) How your community influences/affects the global community