Athenaeum


Photograph courtesy of Flansburgh Architects

Wilbraham & Monson has opened the Athenaeum, a welcomed addition to the community and campus. The need for intentional community space, academic collaborative space and the beginning of a campus reorganization satisfies several needs of our Campus Master Plan, primarily the

The 5,500-square-foot space was completed this spring and is located between Smith Hall and Alumni Memorial Chapel. It is connected to Gill Memorial Library, which is currently being used as a classroom to accommodate the need for additional, socially distanced space.

The athenaeum represents the initial phase, and the key to unlocking the potential, of the full Campus Master Plan.


Photograph courtesy of Flansburgh Architects

Photograph courtesy of Flansburgh Architects

Athenaeum

Gill Memorial Library

With its rich history, Gill Memorial Library is currently being used as a classroom to accommodate the need for additional, socially distanced space. It will later serve as an extension of the Athenaeum, as well as additional space for Alumni Memorial Dining Hall (formerly Alumni Memorial Chapel) and community functions.

Gill Memorial Library was named after Benjamin Gill, who taught at the Academy from 1872-1892. The Library was dedicated in 1916 in its previous location in Rich Hall before being moved in 1960 to its current location in Alumni Memorial Chapel.

Alumni Memorial Chapel, which formerly housed the Academy's all-school meeting space and now has been converted to additional (socially distanced) dining space, was designed in the Gothic Revival style in the 1860s (Dedicated in 1870). Its construction was interrupted by the Civil War.

The chapel was said to be part of the Underground Railroad at around the same time. When the Chapel was first built it was not technically part of the Academy’s campus and was simply called “The stone church.” The Chapel was used by the Academy and the town of Wilbraham. In the mid-1930s the Church was falling into disrepair. Ownership was turned over to the Academy by the Methodist Society and the Academy then funded a complete renovation.



Library Resources

Give A Book

Parents, students, faculty, alumni and friends can help build Gill Memorial Library and leave a legacy on campus by donating to the WMA Give-a-Book Program.

“There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the
best of all.”
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis


Meet the Staff

Valeri Wallace

Titles: Director of Library Services

Christy Drapeau

Titles: Library Assistant