Riflery - Varsity
Riflery has been a competitive sport for more than 60 years at Wilbraham & Monson Academy. WMA is one of the only college preparatory schools in our region with an indoor shooting range on campus. The Academy has a five-point indoor firing range in the Cowdrey Rifle Ready Room, which was donated by C. Francis and Florence I. Cowdrey in honor of their son, Sherman '50W. Sherman Cowdrey is the great nephew of Dr. James Naismith, who invented the sport of basketball in 1891.
The Riflery team uses Anshutz competition .22 rifles and shoots at A-17 11 bull targets from 50 feet. Individual shooters have 30 minutes to fire five rounds in the prone, sitting, kneeling, and off-hand (standing) positions. The sum of the top five scores from each team will determine the winner of the match.
All equipment is supplied by WMA. The Academy’s Riflery team consists of 12 varsity shooters. We are proud to say half of the team is comprised of female and international students.
WMA competes against teams in the Connecticut Valley League, which includes peer schools Avon Old Farms School, Suffield Academy, Grasso Technical High School and Montville High School. The Riflery season runs from early November through the end of February. The schedule generally consists of seven to eight meets, which take place at the host’s school, the Hartford Gun Club, the Metacom Gun Club, or the Blue Trail Gun Club.
Ho Chi Minh
- Quinnipiac Division ChampionsConnecticut High School Riflery League Champions
- Prep School Gallery Match Champions
- Overall Gallery Match Champions
- NRA 3 Position Sectional - Scholastic Champions
- NRA 4 Position Sectional - Scholastic Champions
- Dan Wesson - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All State 1st team
- Nicholas Spellman - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All State 1st team
- Ben Bicknell - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All State 2nd team
- Erika Convery - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All State 2nd team
- Irene Fang - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All State 2nd team
- School record for team score in 4 position - 963 @ Avon January 27, 2018
- School record for team score in 4 position - 966 vs Suffield Academy, February 17, 2018.
- School record for team score @ Gallery Match - 777 (4 person team - Wesson, Spellman, Convery, & Fang)
- School record for most consecutive league matches won - 16
- Undefeated for second straight season.
- Quinnipiac Division Champions
- Connecticut High School Riflery League Champions
- Prep School Gallery Match Champions
- Dan Wesson - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All-State First team.
- Erika Convery - Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association All-State First team.
- School record for team score in 4 position - 959 vs Suffield Academy, Feb. 18, 2017
- Individual record for high score in 4 position - 198 Convery vs Grasso Tech, Jan. 25, 2017 , and Wesson vs Suffield Academy, Feb. 18, 2017
- Prep Gallery Match: Dan Wesson '18 2nd, Sally Qiu '16 3rd
Three members of the Titan Riflery team traveled to Dublin, N.H., to compete in the 2018 New England Indoor Prone Championships put on by the American Smallbore Shooting Association (ASSA).
Co-Captain Nick Spellman '19 led the way for the Titans with a 193. Ryan Cordeiro '21 shot a 192, Co-Captain Erika Convery and first-year shooter Brian Lu '21 both scored 190s. Alex Otte '20 rounded out the scoring with a 187.
Nick Spellman and Ryan Cordeiro shot 192s to lead the Titans.
Game story here.
WMA Riflery continued its undefeated season, beating Xavier 952-947. Erika Convery '19 led the Titans with a 193, followed by Ryan Cordeiro '21 192 and Sara Labbe '19 190.
Nick Spellman '19 led the Titans with a 194 (of 200). Ryan Cordeiro '21 ecorded a 193, and Jinyu "Melody" Zhan '22 added a career-high 188.
The Titans won the Prep School Gallery Match championship for the third straight year! Ryan Cordeiro led with 196, Brian Lu 195, Nick Spellman, Labbe and Matt Nguyen each with 191.
The Titans posted a season-high score to beat Xavier 961-948. The win capped the program's third straight undefeated regular season. On Senior Day, senior Gordon Hertel shot 13 points better than his previous best with a 194. Ryan Cordeiro (193) followed.
Sometimes in athletics, even when a team performs at a high level, that's just not enough.
Despite shooting five points above its season average, the Wilbraham & Monson Academy Riflery team placed second at the five-team Connecticut High School Shoot-Off Feb. 26 at Blue Trail Range in Wallingford.
Xavier High of Middletown, Connecticut, won the match with a five-person score of 960 (out of 1,000), which was its best performance of the season. WMA, which won the event the previous two seasons, was second at 955.
Ryan Cordeiro '21 again led the Titans, shooting a 197 (out of 200), which was just one point off the school record. Brian Lu '21 had another strong showing with a 195, followed by Alex Otte '20 189, Nick Spellman '19 188 and Melody Zhan '22 186.
WMA finished the regular season undefeated, won the Quinnipiac Division, and claimed the Prep Gallery Match for the third season in a row.