The Alpine Skiing program at Wilbraham & Monson Academy proudly offers opportunities for the advanced student-athlete to grow their competition skills as well as the novice to develop new lifelong skills. The program schedule is also conducive to the ski season, leaving the weekends open for athletes to train and compete in club-sponsored USSA events.
The Wilbraham & Monson Academy Ski team is a member of the Mount Institute Ski League. The league includes competing schools such as Deerfield Academy, Eaglebrook School and Williston Northampton School. The league races on USSA courses at Berkshire East in Charlemont and Eaglebrook School in Deerfield. This format combines the best of both worlds by providing great competition with minimal disruption to a student's academic life.
At the beginning of the season, we utilize our state-of-the-art facilities to implement a training program tailored for the skier. Dry land training includes cardio, strength, balance and skills. Training is then transferred to the slopes with a focus on skill and race tactics development.
The team trains on snow alongside other prep schools and USSA racers beginning in early January. Training is supplemented on weekends by training at larger mountains such as Stratton Mountain in Vermont.
For the serious racers, the ski team has a designated tuning room. Tuning skills are also included as part of the training program.
We have a diverse team with athletes from Italy, Spain, Sweden, Korea, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Russia, the United States and more. Our current alpine program has had several recent successes including:
- 2023 Girls individual NEPSAC championship race - first-place finish in SL and third in GS
- 2023 Boys team had a third-place overall podium at the NEPSAC championship race
- 2023 Boys individual NEPSAC championship race - fourth-place medal in SL
- 2023 Girls individual overall season - second-place podium finish in the Mount Institute Ski League (MISL)
- 2023 Boys individual overall season - third-place podium in the MISL junior varsity
- 2022 Boys individual NEPSAC championship race - third-place podium in SL and two in the top 10 in GS
- 2020 Boys individual NEPSAC championship race - first-place win in GS and third in SL
- 2020 Girls individual NEPSAC championship race - third-place podium in both GS and SL
- 2019 Girls team won the overall NEPSAC championship