English – 12 credits
- Each student must be enrolled in an English course every trimester.
- Successful completion of English 9, English 10 (or Honors English 10), English 11 (or AP English 11) and 3 credits from Grade 12 trimester courses (or AP English 12) is required.
- Students not taking AP English 12 must take Writing Seminar or Research & Writing.
- ESL students who successfully complete Advanced ESL are then likely to be placed into the English level that is one below their grade level.
- ESL students are expected to complete courses through English 11 for diploma requirements.
Mathematics – 9 credits
- Three years of mathematics, including successful completion of Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 are required. This is the recommended sequence.
- All students take mathematics through Grade 11. Many colleges prefer to see mathematics through Grade 12.
- Students must pass and receive departmental permission to advance from Algebra 1 to Geometry and from Geometry to Algebra 2.
- All students are required to have a graphing calculator. We recommend the Texas Instruments Model TI-nspire CX CAS.
World Languages – 6 credits
- We require 2 years of the same language.
- Students must receive a minimum grade of a C- before advancing to the second year.
- Many colleges prefer 3 or 4 years of the same language.
Center for Entrepreneurial & Global Studies – 6 credits
- 2 years of CEGS credits, including U.S. History in grade 11 or 12 are required. Most students take U.S. History in grade 11.
- ESL students who take Advanced ESL also take U.S. History for International Students their first year. This course fulfills their U.S. History requirement.
- Global Studies 1 is required of all students in Grade 9. Courses in the CEGS program are equivalent to social science credits that colleges require.
- Many colleges prefer to see at least 3 years of CEGS/history/social sciences.
Science – 6 credits
- 2 years of laboratory science are required.
- Physics 9 is required of all students in Grade 9.
- Many colleges require at least 3 years of laboratory science.
Fine & Performing Arts – 3 credits
- We require 3 credits in the Fine & Performing Arts, which is equivalent to three trimester electives or one yearlong class.
In order to receive our diploma, postgraduates are required to take:
- One English elective each trimester, of which one course must be Writing Seminar or Research & Writing.
- An appropriate mathematics course.
- A yearlong course in science, world languages, or CEGS.
- Two additional yearlong courses (or a combination of three trimester courses) in CEGS, mathematics, science, world languages, or fine & performing arts.
Postgraduates who elect not to follow the above course schedule are eligible to receive a certificate of attendance from the Academy.
Additional Diploma Requirements include:
- All Grade 9 students are required to take Freshman Foundations, which meets in either the winter or spring trimesters. This class is worth 1 credit.
- Students are enrolled at the Academy throughout the senior year, and they participate in Commencement.
- Seniors and postgraduates must pass the equivalent of five yearlong courses in which they are enrolled in order to receive our diploma.
- All students must successfully complete the afternoon requirement as stated in the Afternoon Program section of the Student/Parent Handbook.
- All students complete the Arts Enrichment requirement.