A Merit-Based Scholarship Program for Students of Outstanding Academic Achievement
The Global Scholars program provides a select group of extraordinary students opportunities for extra-curricular intellectual enrichment, including monthly lectures, special speaker series, and cultural events, which engage them in important scholarly dialogue about global issues. The Global Scholars experience incorporates research, travel, and study abroad opportunities. In the concluding year of their scholarship, all Global Scholars create and defend an in-depth independent research project concerning a global issue, culminating in a public presentation of their work.
Scholarship award includes:
- Up to $3,000 per year towards WMA-sponsored international travel; limit of two trips during tenure as Global Scholar
- Monthly lecture opportunities and cultural events to foster dialogue of global issues, and Senior Research Project
- Travel benefits: Student travel is carefully designed by faculty members at the Academy to include an educational component as well as a spirit of adventure.
To be considered, candidates must have demonstrated excellence in the following areas:
- Academic achievement, with a GPA of 3.5 or greater
- Awareness of global issues and the concept of global leadership
- Moral force of character
- Capacity to lead and motivate fellow students
- Participation in activities beyond the classroom
How to Apply
Any student enrolled for one trimester in the WMA upper school and maintaining a minimum 3.5 GPA may apply. Candidates must fill out an online application form
and submit it, along with a 500-to-800-word essay. You may also contact program advisor, Mrs. Hutcheson
, for more details.
Note: Photo taken by WMA student Sarah Goolishian '13; of WMA student Eva Landers '12 with children of the Kamayura tribe.