International Student Support
WMA’s rich history of enrolling and supporting international students began in 1847 when Monson Academy enrolled Chinese students, the first school in the United States to do so. Thai and Japanese students followed soon after. The international student body has remained a foundation of the school for more than 150 years and continues to this day.
The International Students Office at Wilbraham & Monson Academy exists to provide an information and support system for students from 32 countries. Students, parents, and families of our international students can expect a warm and welcoming experience when dealing with the office. Inquiries may be sent to program director Gayle Hsiao at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413.596.9103.
Resources available to current and new students at Wilbraham & Monson Academy include:
- Making travel arrangements and ground transportation to and from the airport
- New International Student Orientation schedule
- Various themed meals
- Airport - Bradley Airport (Windsor Locks, Conn.) and Logan Airport (Boston, Mass.) - bus and train pick up and drop offs at all major breaks
- English as a Second Language classes
- Student tutors who can assist in their native language
The Vacation Homestay Program is an opportunity for a WMA international student to live in an American home with a host family during Fall and Spring Vacations. Although a small stipend is paid to the family to participate, the experience is one of building a relationship, not just renting a room. Homestay host families are carefully selected for their kind and caring personalities and their desire and willingness to open their homes and share their family lives and customs with the students.
Students discover that their English improves through conversation and daily interaction with their families. They are exposed to a variety of cultural learning opportunities like family activities, holiday celebrations, religious practices and sporting events, among other things. The greatest reward for the students and the families both might be the deep, lasting friendship between them.
The Homestay host family will provide:
- A safe, clean, and comfortable home
- A kind, caring family
- An English-speaking environment
- A private furnished bedroom with study area
- Healthy meals
- Access to laundry facilities, including detergent
- Television and Internet access
Please contact Director of International Students Gayle Hsiao if you would like to consider this program.